Thursday, November 24, 2011

No Tofurkey for me!

Well, another year, another Thanksgiving at work. To be honest I don't mind that much. With all our family out of the area, and other days/holidays I would rather have off I can work today so someone else can spend it with family.




This year I am going to list out some of the things I am thankful for from the past 12 months.

I am thankful for;

A job that is just accomidating enough: A little over a year ago I remember looking at the logistics and deciding there was no way I was going to be able to go to school. But here I am, with a little help from coworkers, and some grudging help from my boss I created a schedule that allowed me to spend M/W/F at school and still get in my 36 hours a week of work. Now I am wrapping up a (fairly successful) quarter of 14 units including two science for science major classes with labs.

A supportive family: I had no idea who would/wouldn't show up to the wedding, but I was very pleased with who was there. It was an outpouring of support I couldn't have imagined and I had a blast reconnecting with some people I hadn't seen in years.

My health: Although this year has been something of a struggle health wise, I am very happy that things are relatively stable and that they rarely interfere wih my day to day life. Somedays are hard and I do feel sorry for myself, but most of the time I know that I could be worse off. I am also thankful for the providers who caught on to what was going on and have done a pretty good job of managing my care.

Eager doctors: I've been impressed, and appreciative of how many of the docs that I work with have stepped up since I expressed interest in going pre-med. They have universally been encouraging and many of them have taken an interest in showing/explaining things. It is these sort of experiences that make me like my job.

A great best friend: I am thankful every week to be friends with someone who makes time to one over and eat crappy food, have a drink and hang out. I'm always glad that he is willing and able to chat about anything, and it is a nice chance to escape the pressures of the rest of my week. I find it funny that no matter what time I tell myself I'm going to sleep, suddenly it's 3 am and were sitting in the car having some personal conversation.

A wonderful wife: Not to get too mushy here, but I am very appreciative of how much my wife does. She puts up with my busy stressful schedule, and the resulting cranky me. I am also always impressed by how many different roles she takes on and does them so well and without complaining. This year she has been: wedding planner, interior designer, study partner, therapist, chef, nurse, dog mom, health advocate, personal banker, bike detailer, housekeeper, cycling widow, personal shopper, student, nutritionist, debate partner, and masseuse. All of this on top of managing her own life. Without her support I wouldn't be able to do half the things I do.

1 comments:

allison said...

That was the best thanksgiving thanks ever. I love you. <3

Post a Comment

 

Vegan Sag Wagon Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger